What is buttock enhancement surgery?
Buttock augmentation, or gluteal augmentation, is used to improve the contour, size, and/or shape of the buttocks. This is done through the use of buttock implants, fat grafting or sometimes a combination of the two.
Buttock implants are silicone-filled devices that are surgically placed deep within the tissues of the buttock. Buttock augmentation through the use of fat grafting involves the transfer of fat from one area of the body into the tissues of the buttocks. This technique is sometimes referred to as a Brazilian Butt Lift.
What buttock augmentation surgery can do?
- Increase fullness, roundness, and projection of your butt or buttocks
- Improve the balance of your figure
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence
In addition to buttock augmentation procedures, a buttock lift can be accomplished by the surgical removal of soft tissue.
A buttock lift, or gluteal lift, improves the shape and tone of the underlying tissue that supports skin and fat in the buttock area.
Aging, sun damage, pregnancy, significant fluctuations in weight, and genetic factors may contribute to poor tissue elasticity that can result in sagging of the buttocks.
In order to achieve a smoother and more pleasing contour, excess sagging skin and fat are removed. A traditional gluteal lift will not make a butt larger but may improve a dimpled, irregular skin surface. This procedure may be included in a body lift or may be performed separately.
What a buttock lift can’t do
Buttock lifts are not intended strictly for the removal of excess fat nor are they intended to add volume to the buttocks. Fat grafting, buttock implants, or auto-augmentation (when some of your own tissue is left underneath the skin) can be used to add volume. Liposuction is sometimes added for better contouring.
Who is a good candidate for buttock enhancement?
Buttock enhancement surgeries are highly individualized procedures. You should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
Who is a good candidate for buttock augmentation?
You may be a good candidate for buttock augmentation if:
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- You are bothered by the feeling that your butt is too small
- You are unhappy with the roundness or general shape of your butt
- Your butt is asymmetrical
Who is a good candidate for a buttock lift?
In general, buttock lift candidates include:
- Individuals with significant soft tissue looseness in the gluteal area
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase the risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what gluteal lift surgery can accomplish
- Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
What should I expect during a consultation for buttock enhancement?
During your buttock augmentation and/or buttock lift consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies, and previous medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco, and drug use
- Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine and measure your body, this may include detailed body measurements
- Take photographs for your medical records
- Discuss your body lift options
- Recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of gluteal lift surgery and any risks or potential complications
The success and safety of your buttock enhancement procedure depend on your complete candidness during your consultation. You will be asked a number of questions about your health, desires, and lifestyle.
It’s very important to understand all aspects of your gluteal lift procedure. It’s natural to feel some anxiety, whether it’s excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don’t be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.